7.13.2007

Set the World on Fire...

I have some very sad yet exciting news. I will not be returning to Heritage in the fall. This is the sad news. I know this may come as a shock to many of you, and as major disappointment to many. As I was looking forward to being the secretary on STUCA this coming year as well as getting to know all of the friends I made even better, I feel like I am the worst person in the world.

However, I feel that this is the best thing for me to do, as I have decided to go into nursing. I would really like to do medical missions, and help people in different places around the world. If that is not what God wants for me, then I would be happy just working in Toronto or anywhere really where there are people of different cultures. I am aware that God has given me the gift of connecting with those who speak different languages and who are from different places around the world.

I know this is totally different than what I have been talking about with all of you, as I was orginally going to be in the intercultural studies degree at Heritage. However, I know that I can work interculturally as a nurse, and I feel this is where God is leading me. I am so excited to see what God has in store for me!

This coming year I need to do some courses that I need in order to apply for nursing that I never took in highschool, so I have to do Gr. 11 and 12 Biology and Chemistry. I have to do all four of them this year, distance ed and possibly at night school. If you could remember to pray for me, as I know this year is going to be tough. I never did well in science in school. Honestly, I can't believe that I'm going to have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing when I come through all of this. For those of you who know me, I'm more of the "artsy -fartsy" type who enjoys music, reading, learning languages, and poetry. I am aware that I am going to have to work EXTREMELY hard in these next five years, but I am ready! I have never wanted to do something so much, and I have never felt so at peace about serving God in such a way as I do now.

For those of you at Heritage, I am sorry. I am sorry for letting you down and for leaving you all. I promise you, my year there was the most amazing year ever, and all of you, my friends, I will have with me for the rest of my life! I will come and visit you when I can, and remember to keep in touch by e-mail, facebook, or MSN...even "snail mail" if need be. I will miss you all so much, and even writing this brings tears to my eyes. I was so looking forward to being with you all this year, and being encouraged by your love and ...well..encouragement!! I love you all so much and I will hopefully come and visit you all in September when school starts again.

This is only the first big decision of many in my life, and I am ready for the adventure to begin, because our life with Christ IS an adventure. I am so excited to be serving God in this way, and I can't wait to get out there and help others. I just have to remember that we serve God everyday, so instead of constantly looking to the future, I need to keep in mind the here and now. That is what matters the most!!

Melissa just bought a CD by the new Christian artist Britt Nicole. I've been listening to this CD alot over the past 2 days, and one song in particular really stuck out to me. This is my prayer, and I only hope I can live up to it as I continue on in this life with my Lord and Saviour!!

Set the World on Fire
I wanna set the world on fire
Until it’s burning bright for You
It’s everything that I desire
Can I be the one You use?

I, I am small butYou,
You are big enough
I, I am weak but You,
You are strong enough to

Chorus
Take my dreams
Come and give them wings
Lord with You
There’s nothing I can not do
Nothing I cannot do

I wanna feed the hungry children
And reach across the farthest land
And tell the broken there is healing
And mercy in the Father’s hands

My hands my feet
My everything
My life, my love Lord, use me

I wanna set the world on fire
I wanna set the world on fire, yeah
I’m gonna set the world on fire
Set the world on fire

Programming and Bass by Tedd T. Keys by Josiah Sherman Guitars by Eric Lemiere Written by Britt Nicole, Jason Ingram, and Cindy Morgan © 2007 Britt Nicole Publishing Designee (ASCAP) / Peertunes, Ltd. / GrangeHill Music / J Ingram Music (SESAC) / New Spring Publishing / Soliva Music (ASCAP)

Hope that everyone has a great day, and please feel free to comment...I love you all so much! Take care...

Love, Ash

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well darling,
We know as you said, this will come as a surprise to many, but if this is the decision you have come to after much thought and prayer, you know that as always, we will be there to back you up in all you do and support you with our love and prayers through the days and years ahead as you take on this new challenge and look to God to be your guide through every step you take.
You will make a wonderful and compassionate nurse.
All love Nan xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Got the following in my email the other day Thought it might be fitting to add here for you

Love you so much Nan xoxox

No one is responsible for your happiness,
sadness, or success.
No one but you. Yes You!

The day you take complete responsibility for
yourself and your choice is the day you start a
journey toward grand personal fulfillment.

You're the only one that lives your life.
Believe it is or not,
you do have the power to succeed at
anything you choose.
The strength to fulfill
your dreams is within you , at this very ,moment.
Accepting responsibility without
excuses, frees your power to achieve.

~~unknown

Anonymous said...

Dear Ashleigh: Such a big step but am sure you have thought this through and have made the right decision. Our daughter, Karen, returned to Orillia to do her nursing degree (we were living in Windsor & had lived in Orillia previously) and she stayed in the Eleanor Johnson Residence which is now part of the hospital. Spent 3 years at Georgian & is now at Royal Vic in Barrie after many years in Brampton. Our daughter-in-law just completed her Nurse Practioner degree last Sept. & is at the Leamington Hospital in Emerg. They both are dedicated nurses and love what they are doing. It is not easy of course with all the govt's changes but is personally rewarding. Good Luck in your schooling - the next year will be the hard part & then it will be so exciting for you. Take care & love, Kathryn & Bruce from LC.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashleigh,

Am so glad that you are letting God do the deciding as to your career. I am so glad that you are going into nursing! I took a nurse assistant course and was one for a long time. I do regret that I didn't go further with it. If I had it to do over I would be a nurse. There are so many, and so many ways, you can help people. Know it will be hard but so rewarding. I am so glad to see a young girl wanting to help others. One thing for sure, if it's there like it is here in Oxford, Mississippi, they are begging for nurses! Just remember, God is in control, even behind the scenes, and He never makes a mistake! Will keep you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hey Avi...you are an amazing girl. one whom i admire in so many ways. Making decisions in life can be so hard, yet when you allow God to help you the peace you feel is awesome. I know that your Heritage friends will truly understand and give you so much support. You have certainly added these friends for life...i know they aren't going anywhere but with you...be encouraged! Keep striving and learning all you can. We love you so much, Love MLma