1.09.2012

For the Love of...



Sometimes I go to Psalm 119 when I need a reminder of why it's good to love God's Word.  Here's a part that stood out to me today:

Psalm 119:81-88
Kaph

 81 My soul longs for your salvation;
   hope in your word. 
82 My eyes long for your promise;
   I ask, “When will you comfort me?”
83 For I have become like a wineskin in the smoke,
   yet I have not forgotten your statutes. 
84 How long must your servant endure?[a]
   When will you judge those who persecute me?
85 The insolent have dug pitfalls for me;
   they do not live according to your law.
86 All your commandments are sure;
   they persecute me with falsehood; help me!
87 They have almost made an end of me on earth,
   but I have not forsaken your precepts. 
88 In your steadfast love give me life,
   that I may keep the testimonies of your mouth.

The psalmist gives us three examples of troubles that he encounters: 
a.) needing salvation
b.) needing comfort
c.) being tormented by enemies

With each example, he turns to God's word for help and strength
a.) I hope in your word
b.) I have not forgotten your statutes
c.) I have not forsaken your precepts (God's commands or laws)

When I feel troubled or downcast, I often don't turn to God's Word to comfort me, and I forget to call out to my God who created me.  Here is my checklist, straight out of the Psalms:

Needing salvation?  Hope in God's Word
Needing comfort?   Remember God's Statutes
Being tormented by enemies (seen or unseen)?  Cling to God's precepts

Love,
Ashleigh

1 comment:

Singinglady said...

Hi Ash
Good thoughts in this this passage for all of us to ponder.
XOXO NAN