1.10.2012

Back in the Game...

I'm happy to say that I'm going back to work today.  After a month off, I'm done with cabin fever and not getting anything accomplished.  This is it, I'm doing it, getting back in the game, and feeling accomplished.

I'm also looking forward to the social interaction I get from working in a college cafeteria.  It's wonderful to see so many smiling faces every day, and it really does give me a positive boost.  I'm so thankful for my job there.

Speaking of food, it's been fun trying to see how low we can keep our grocery bill while still buying food that is healthy.  Yesterday, it was only $56 for the week, and that included a TON of veggies, an $11 package of frozen chicken, and some dairy stuff- you know how expensive that can get.  It was really nice to see so many vegetables on the conveyor belt, and I had a hard time not comparing our foodstuffs to the woman's beside us, which amounted to over $100 and consisted of a lot of junk (truth be told, I think she was buying it for her daughter who was just starting university).

Both Jake and I have a hard time feeling full after eating vegetables.  In my case, I always feel the need to eat something hearty, like bread, rice, or pasta with a meal.

Case in point:
Last night I made a roast pork loin with squash and peas.  Were we full afterwards? No.
What we chose to eat as a filler, I am ashamed to say, was not healthy in the least.  Some gummi bears and a bowl of peanuts, marshmallows, and chocolate chips were our vices.  I think bread or rice would have been a better option by that point.

As much as I know about health and nutrition, these are the times that I cry out, "What was I thinking?!"  It seems as if I still have a long way to go to break the habits that I've taken 20 years to form (including needing something sweet after a meal).

I just pray that God would continue to keep me on the healthy path of nutrition, and that He will help me to form better habits that will stick with me for life.

Because we all know that eating healthy and exercise should not just be something you add and take out of your life at will.

They must become part of your lifestyle.

Here's to a happy and healthy 2012.

Love,
Ashleigh


No comments: