4.18.2006

Sorry to keep you all waiting. I have become a terrible blogger. My week-end was very good. On good Friday we ate fish, because it is a tradition for Brazilians to eat fish on the good Friday, as most of the country is Catholic. Then, there was a live performance of Jesus' betrayal and death that was on the whole week-end. It was called the Via Sacra, which translates into the Sacred Road. It was very well done, and there were so many people there on the Friday night that we had to stand behind the stands they had set up, and watch it on a screen.
I enjoyed it alot, but of course it was very sad because it was portraying Jesus' death. It was so cute; we left before it was over, so that we could beat the crowds coming out. But the part we left was when Jesus was hanging on the cross. Andréa's little niece looked at her and said, "Tia Andréa, is Jesus going to stay there?" So then Andréa explained that no, Jesus rose on Sunday and that he doesn't stay dead. I thought it was so adorable. That night Andréa took me and her boyfriend to his house in the country, to stay there until Sunday morning. His house is on the outskirts of Àguas Lindas, and it's beautiful country. On Saturday, some family of Andréa's came, and we went to go swimming in some waterfalls (cachoeiras) twice. It is quite a hike to the falls, so my legs were hurting even yesterday. Then on Sunday morning I woke up early to go to the International church for their Easter service that started at nine. They were having a breakfast at 8AM and then baptisms and an Easter service later on.
After the service, we came home and had a barbecue(Churrasco). We also exchanged chocolates with anyone in the family who had wanted to participate, and it was alot of fun.
I hope that you all had a blessed Easter, and that you remembered the reason for the holiday.
Yesterday I wasn't feeling well, because my allergies were bothering me. It must have been the week-end at the farm(chacra) that caused them to flare up. Plus, it was raining and it was pretty dark out. But today I'm fine, and I helped at the English school.
I wanted to tell you about the Churrascos that they have when all the families get together. Instead of having hamburgers and hot dogs like we do when we have a big get together, they cook a barbecue of different meats. They'll barbecue beef, sausage, and a very thin sausage and they cut the beef into strips so that people can take as much as they want. The also salt it alot, but it's funny now how I've gotten used to the saltiness of their meat. Then they eat that with rice and beans, a simple salad, and one other dish of food...it varies. But it's alot of fun when they have a churrasco, because all the men are standing around the little barbecue all trying to look like they're cooking the meat.
I think that maybe by the time i come home I'll be able to know how to drive a car in standard. Don't worry, Dad, I haven't tried it yet, but I keep watching them and how they shift, and it doesn't look that complicated!!! Just kidding, I don't think I'll be able to practice it anywhere.
Hope you all are taking care, I love you all!
Love, Ash :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Babe, glad to hear from you ....we wondered if you had computer problems. Have you been able to get a microphone so maybe we could skype you over the comp.?Thanks for letting us all know about Easter in Brasil...and that you were able to have a fun week-end swimming and going to the bbq. I guess its the same everywhere with men and bbq's...ha ha.
Pray for Jessica P as she will be heading down to the Dominican tomorrow night with the travelling nurses for a week..
hope you have a super day...thanks for the blog..Love Ce Ce wanna be.

Singing Lady said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Singing Lady said...

Hello Ash,
Good to see you back in print!!!!I think you are trying to keep us all in suspense, to know what will happen next! hahah!
Joking aside, it sounds like you had a very meaningful Easter and one you will not forget.
Make the most of your time and there and continue to write as you are able.
Love Nan xoxo

Anonymous said...

hey hun!!! nice to hear from you :-)

MISS YOU!

RA

Anonymous said...

Hello Ash,
nice hear from you:-) do you have a e-mail address that i send you e-mails to you while you are away. i am praying for you.
miss you
love:stef

Anonymous said...

my e-mail address is friendsrox19@hotmail.com
stef