4.09.2006

Páscoa. This is the Portuguese word for Easter. This week being Easter, I decided to write an Easter edition. Here in Brasil, instead of giving chocolate bunnies for Easter, the big thing is to give these chocolate eggs, but there are so many different kinds. They're big eggs, wrapped in cellophane that tells what kind it is, and in every single grocery store, they have them hanging from a rack over top of your head. So, when you walk underneath it's like you're under a canopy of eggs! Here, it's like if you don't buy one for someone, you're weird. And what they usually do, is everyone in a house picks the name of someone else in the house, and then buys the kind of egg that person wants. However, when it's time to reveal who the person is that you had, you have to describe them first and then everyone has to guess who it is. It's really neat. They're doing this at the English school. I only participated in two classes, but because Andréa's the teacher, she participated in all six of her classes!! It gets so expensive after that! Well, the eggs are about $8 Canadian, so I guess that's not that bad. They also exchange boxes of individually wrapped chocolate. Now for the religious part of it, on Friday, I guess because most of the country is Catholic, everyone eats fish. And the same with Sunday. And they also buy this Easter cake that has drops of chocolate in it, and eat that like the first week before Easter, and the actual days of Easter. I'm not sure about any other Easter traditions, but I will tell them to you as soon as I know. The past few days were good. Wednesday at Vôo Livre, their was not many kids there, because of the rain. The same with Friday. But on Friday, Graça and I were invited to one of the girls houses for lunch. It was very neat, and the lunch was so good. There was lots of chicken, and rice of course, and also this salad...Diced potatoes, carrots, and beets mixed with mayonnaise. I encourage all of you to make it, it was absolutely delish!!!! (If any of you do make it, tell me how you liked it!)
Yesterday I was going for a walk , and then André and Celça came up behind me in their truck and invited me to come with them where they were going. I totally forgot to tell Vera where I was going, and so when we came back 3 hrs. later, she was so happy to see me. She said she had phoned Graça and told her that I had gone for a walk and hadn't come back! They were all worried about me. I felt so bad!
WEll, it's time for church now, so I had better go!
Love, Ashleigh :)

1 comment:

Singing Lady said...

Cumprimentos de Easter a você meu bunny pequeno,
It is very interesting to hear the different traditions of another country and culture.
Your description of the store selling the eggs would be something to see.
We will be eager to hear how they get through this week and if there are different traditions for celebrating the Palm Sunday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday services.
It was a very joyful service at UBC to-day. ( my first time out in 12 weeks - a good reason in itself to be joyful!)
During the kids song, they gave out palm branches to all the children and they paraded all around the church while we sang "King of Kings, and Lord of Lords " (lembrado nos de Vivian VBS!)
Friday was a drizzly, wet day until about 4 pm when it again turned to SNOW!
Olhou como o tempo do Christmas em vez de Easter!
Still little patches here and there, but the today itself, was bright and sunny. ( Warm enough just to wear a jacket! Finalmente!)
Poor Graça , She must have been very worried when you didn't come back right away from your walk . Não se esqueça de dizer-lhe a próxima vez que você parte com alguém!
Até a vez seguinte, eu emito-lhe lotes dos hugs e dos beijos .
Eu te amo lotes! Nan