4.10.2006

Apparently the rain will stop after this week. Man, I have never seen anywhere rain so much as it has here. It's funny because all the clothing stores are selling sweaters and long-sleeved shirts, and get this...even winter coats. I'm thinking, "You guys, you don't know cold when you see it." However, apparently it does get as low as 8 Celcius in the winter time, so that is pretty chilly when you're used to temps in the 30's during the summer time!
I don't remember if I told you that there is another Canadian here now, he arrived on Saturday I think, and he's going to be working with the sports at Vôo Livre. I don't know how old he is, but I just think it's cool that another Canadian is here! I heard that he speaks Spanish, too, so Portuguese is majorly going to throw him off!!
Today we had the always present rice and beans for lunch...I can tell you the Portuguese for that now... rice is "arroz" and beans are "feijão". But we had meat and guess what else? Zuchinni!!!!! Oh my goodness, it was so good! I think Vera mixed it with carrots, and season with garlic and oil. Que delisioso!!!
Today I started doing verb conjugations...we started this week because I was starting to get frustrated with myself when I couldn't say the right conjugation. So I learned the present tense for the verbs "ser"(to be), "estar"(to be, also, but only when you're talking about something that you are only sometimes...for example, I am hungry, "Eu estou com forme". You aren't hungry all the time so you use the verb "estar". I would use "ser" to describe myself saying, I am Canadian, "Eu sou Canadense", because I can't change the fact that I am Canadian.) Sorry for that little boring tidbit of information, but I love it!
The other two verbs I got to conjugate were "Vir"(to come) and "Ir"(to go). Oh how fun. Then after that Graça wanted me to make sentences using the verbs. So, I made 24 sentences. I'm glad we did that though, because some of the conjugations I didn't know. Now I have to do past tense for those verbs though...pena!!
I forgot to answer one of you that left a comment about what type of chocolate I eat. Well, here the chocolate sure isn't Hershey's milk chocolate bar! It's still good, though. I think it is made in Brazil.
OH,I have to tell you about this food we have for breakfast sometimes. It's called "misto quente", and it's sort of like a grilled cheese sandwich, except you also put ham in with the cheese. Honestly, it is sooooooo good for breakfast! Try it!
Today I didn't do much with the classes at the English school. I was able to read for pronunciation for one class, but that's about it. I think right now the teachers are just teaching, so it's hard for them to find anything for me to do.
Oh my goodness, it was so cool. Last night we went to the Brazilian church again, and Cristina was all ready to translate for me during the sermon, when we realized that the pastor was American. Yes, he spoke English!!! Que Legal!! So everyone was happy because we all understood!(his wife translated for him) I was so happy. He was a very good preacher, and he spoke on Mary and Joseph forgetting Jesus in the temple. He made it so interesting, and he made the story come alive. It was so awesome!
Well, I think that's enough for now. Até logo! (you know that I expect all of you to look up these Portuguese words and learn them for when I come home! Make sure you get the pronunciation right! Just kidding!)
Love, Ashleigh :)

2 comments:

Singing Lady said...

Hey Cinza. É é seu Nan que tenta aqui proseguir com você em sua língua portuguese!!! Como eu estou fazendo? Você pensa de nós poderá falar junto quando você começa home? Poço do Oh bastante daquele! Eu não quero oprimi-lo com meu progresso grande! hahahah!
Nothing extraordinary going on here to-day.
It sounds like you are adjusting to the food and maybe when the rainy season is over, to the weather conditions as well.
There are actually some flowers peeking out at houses in town ... but not here yet.
We are always the last to get them!!
However I think either our racoon or skunk friends are out and about in the night, as they are starting to dig up our lawn already.
They are running a new version of the "Ten Commandments", on the TV to-night.
It is a two part version, so I think I will go now and watch it.
I will report back and tell you if it as good as the original version.
TTFN and remember ...
"você está sempre em nossos corações e prayers"
Hugs and kisses from Singinglady,
your everlovin' Nan xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

hun............. today rocked. more on that later ;-)
love ya :-D

RA