8.01.2012

ETC 2012

Experiencing the Canadian country side at the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada...

The past three weeks have been a whirlwind of lesson planning, teaching, correcting, leading, guiding, touring, etc.  ETC (English Training Camp) is in full swing, and there are only 2 1/2 more weeks left.  Even though this is my third year teaching Korean students, I am still learning more about their culture all the time, even as they learn more about our culture.  

In case you're new to my blog, I'll fill you in on how this little teaching stint works.  

Every day looks something like this:
9:30-12:30--> Teaching and Learning Time (Grammar and Conversation)
12:30-2:30--> Lunch Break (I think everyone should have a 2-hr afternoon break! It's very refreshing)
2:30-5:30--> Afternoon Activity (Mondays are more low-key; Tuesdays are one-on-one tutoring; Wednesdays are 'cooking/baking parties'; Thursdays and Fridays are when we go places like St. Jacob's Market, or the Donkey Sanctuary)

Since today was Wednesday, they enjoyed making personal pizzas and cake with home-made icing.  I usually end the morning lesson around noon on Wednesdays so that we have time to get our ingredients at the grocery store and eat by at least 2 pm...trust me, it takes a long time to make food.  However, it's worth it every time.  I've been enjoying introducing them to various kitchen tools, such as electric beaters, and measuring spoons.  Believe it or not, most of the students had never baked or cooked anything before arriving in Canada.  These young people are so focused on their studies that they don't have time for much else.  Although Wednesdays are one of the most stressful, they are also one of the most rewarding.  I love hearing their sighs of pleasure as they sink their teeth into homemade apple streusel (topped with ice cream, of course!), and watching their faces as they taste lasagna for the first time.  The culinary delights that I have encouraged them to make are merely the tip of the iceberg, and I hope that it encourages them to branch out in their own kitchens when they return to Korea. 

Every group that I've taught is different, and this group has so much energy.  Whenever we do our various activities, I am always encouraged by their delight and enthusiasm.  They make me laugh, and actually, I also feel a little bit like a superstar.  There are plenty of times I've entered a room to various pitches of "Oh, hi Ashleigh!" and hands are waving and big smiles appear on faces, and I feel enveloped in love and happiness. If I start a day feeling stressed, I usually don't end it that way.  They are a blessing to me, and I hope I can be encouraging to them in turn.

Love,
Ashleigh

1 comment:

Singinglady said...

Hi my darling
So good to read your blog today as you shared your experiences with your group this year.
From the sounds of it you are both learning from one another as you share experiences and teach them the language, culture, culinary skills and enjoy the beauty of God's creation around your home.
Each year has brought with it its own specialties and I am sure when it is over you will have more good memories to keep in you special memory bank.
Love and prayers as always for you and Jake xoxo NAN