3.02.2012

DIY Jam...

Since I've started eating healthier, I've been avoiding certain processed foods that contain an exorbitant amount of unnecessary sugars.  Jam, unfortunately, is one of them.

I usually make soup once a week, and make a loaf of whole wheat bread in the bread maker to go with it.  The past couple of mornings, I've been enjoying a slice of toast with peanut butter.  This morning, however, I wanted to add a little bit of jam.  Since I couldn't use the processed stuff in our fridge, I realized I should make my own.   Here's how:

-pour a few berries into a shallow dish and defrost them in the microwave (If I hadn't been so impatient, I would have done this over the stove)
-Cook them for a few seconds once they are defrosted to heat them up (again, if you do them over the stove, they will defrost and heat at the same time)
-mix them around and mash them up so the consistency becomes more jam-like

**Optional**-add some agave nectar/honey/stevia/real maple syrup for desired sweetness (naturally)
-spread on toast

Enjoy!

Love,
Ashleigh

1 comment:

On God's path said...

Sounds yummy, you have whetted my appetite lol. I am hoping to do some canning this summer! I am excited to try new recipes.