5.31.2006

Nossa, gente!
Everyone here is going crazy with the world cup of soccer, and it hasn't even started yet. Although I am ashamed to say that Canada is NOT participating. Of course the States are, and even Iraq!!! Why not Canada! Everyone keeps asking me, where's your country? ya...not so cool.
Yesterday Andréa and I decorated the school with streamers and ballons, and all sorts of banners and little flags in Brazil colours...green and yellow. It took us almost 4 hours to finish!!! And it isn't even a big school either! But it was so much fun, and it is so worth it to decorate it and then everyone starts to get in the soccer spirit, and have national pride!
I have some big news...tomorrow Andréa, allana and I are going to São Luis until Monday! This is a city in the North of Brasil, and it will be the first time that I am swimming in the ocean! I'm so excited! I hope that we have a good time, which I'm sure that we will. We decided to go now before the games begin for the World Cup, because once that starts, then it will be pure craziness in every city in Brasil. Plus, I haven't gone on a trip since I got here, so it will be lots of fun!
This week has been very good. Just helping out with the school here in Taguatinga, and then today at Vôo Livre...Sadie, the lady who is teaching for Graça there, is a very good substitute for Graça. We had a wonderful day today, and I know that it is going to be fine.
I learned something new yesterday...if you have a headache, then put salt under your tongue and it will help to balance out your blood pressure. Sure didn't know that before!! It is true that you learn something new everyday!
The weather here is so dry now...can't remember the last time that it rained. And it is pretty chilly at night, but I'm getting used to it.
There are some poisonous spiders here, but I haven't seen any yet. I think they're mostly in the rainforest, thankfully!
Do you know what they call me here when I get red from the sun? A camarão...which is a shrimp...yeah, it's pretty funny! So the kids at Vôo Livre were all making fun of me, saying when we come back from the beach I am going to be a shrimp. I hope not...I'm taking lots of sunlotion.
Well, I should go get some rest for our trip tomorrow...hope you all have a good week-end!
Love, Ash:)

No comments: