9.27.2006

Well, reading through a commentary on Genesis(or any college-level commentary for that matter) can be quite a task. I went around to other apartments and asked some girls if they had a dictionary so I could look up the word "talionic",and, with no success, looked up the word on dictionary.com. Well, of course they didn't have "talionic", but they had the word "talion". The definition...well, if you want to know look it up for yourself(yes, I'm going to be mean.) Anyway, the definition itself had a big word I didn't know, so I had to look up the meaning of it. Then, looking up the meaning of it, found another big word I didn't know the meaning of. Looked of the meaning of this word, and, in the definition, it used the word itself!! I mean, how stupid is that? We were always told that when writing a definition you have to use other words to define it. Man, it repeated the word about 3 times. So, needless to say, in a long, drawn out, and sort of round-about way, I found the meaning to the wonderful and crazy word.
At least that's the only word I haven't known in this commentary. In our commentary about the book of John in the Bible, within about 40 pages I had to look up 100 words that I had never seen in my life or couldn't remember the meanings for because we don't use them in everyday English vocabulary. As my Hermeneutics(Bible Interpretation) teacher always says, "WELCOME TO COLLEGE!!!"
Welcome to college is right. I never thought of myself as a thinker, but now I have no choice but to become one. Wow, what a challenge.
Anyways, better get back to my reading. Just thought while I was on the computer I would write a quick little blog.
ttyl, and take care
Love, Ash

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Avi, you sound like such a scholar...I can't even believe that this is you, looking up words and being so studious...very impressive..thanks for the homework, I guess that we have a challenge from you. Well that's not fair as my IQ has slipped a bit with the lack of sleep lately. Oh well..maybe I will wait for later to do my homework.(ya, that's me to procrastinate>>) Glad that you are enjoying the challenge of Bible college. You will do awesome with such a great attitude. We are so proud of you, way to go!!!!!!!!!Enjoy the blogs, you make us all laugh and muse right along with you. Love ya, from Orillialand!xoxox

Singing Lady said...

Hey Ash
This is your “late” but always “up for a Word challenge” Nan!!!!
Did a bit of homework research and found this site. If you have a look you can tell me if this is what "talionic", is about
Very interesting!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_eye_for_an_eye
I am sure that by the time this year is over your IQ will be right up there again!
Your Hermeneutics teacher is right on ! "WELCOME TO COLLEGE!!!"

Keep up the good study habits that you are developing and you could be a top scholar!
Lots of luv
Nan xxoxoxoxo