5.08.2013

Still Alice...

http://librisnotes.blogspot.ca/2011/10/still-alice-by-lisa-genova.html
I just finished reading this book, and was touched beyond words by the distress of the woman's situation.  Without spoiling too much of the story, Still Alice explores the depths of early-onset Alzheimer's disease from inside the mind of Dr. Alice Howland, who is afflicted with it.  We read about her as she travels into the descent and gradual degeneration of her cognitive cells, which affects not only her tenure as a renowned Linguistic Psychologist at Harvard University, but also her familial relationships.

I'm not going to lie, it was sad and heart-breaking to read.  I cried at the end.  But I also feel more aware of how Alzheimer's disease works, and how people living with it must feel, especially at the beginning, when they know what's to come.

It was a very insightful read, one that I would highly recommend.

Love,
Ashleigh

2 comments:

Anita said...

omigosh - wasn't that a good read
give these a try "All she ever wanted" - Rosalind Noonan and "Best kept secret" - Amy Hatvany and "Before I go to sleep" S.J Watson, i really liked each one

Ashleigh Rivers said...

Ah! I have read 'Before I go to Sleep'...that's my worst fear come true!!

I will try the others, thx :)