3.25.2006

On Thursday, it was just another day at the English school. Usually I help Andréa write things on the board, or read a dialogue with her for the class. I like it, because I feel like I´m being helpful. Cristina usually gets me to check the pronunciation on words. The last class in the afternoon, one girl had to do a presentation in English(of course). So, she brought in a CD with a popular song on it, and then we had to look at the lyrics she handed out to us, and put them in order. It was fun, because after her presentation was over, Andréa told the kids, "I'll give anyone five bonus points if you go to the front of the class and sing this song." All but four kids jumped up and ran to the front of the room. They all sang along with the song, and some of them were really funny, being so dramatic. So, that was a pretty fun class. In the evening, I had been invited to go to a birthday party in Águas Lindas. I only knew 3 or 4 people, but their were only about 10 people there. They were all around my age or younger. It was at a little pizzaria in downtown Águas Lindas, which isn't very big! It was fun, although no one there spoke English...that's ok...I got to practice some more Portuguese. I had alot of fun.
Yesterday, we went to Vôo Livre again, and Joyce was there, thankfully, so I didn´t have to do anymore impromptu teaching again! She was still really sick, though. I like helping out in Graça's class. Usually, I'm the one who works with them on their pronunciation. It takes about 10 minutes, sometimes, and I just get them to repeat words after me, and then get them to say sentences on their own. I correct them whenever they need correction on their pronunciation. It's quite interesting how they pronounce some words. I love it! I don't mean to laugh at them, but sometimes it's so cute to hear them say words that sound nothing like they're supposed to! For instance, they have a hard time saying the colour "purple". It comes out more like "purpow". They have a hard time saying "th" sounds as well, because there's no such combination in Portuguese.
Last night Andréa asked me if I wanted to go swimming and suntanning with her and her friend this morning at her friend's house across the street(realisticly, she would be the one suntanning, and I would be working on the lobster look...oh, how fetching!) But, as it turned out, it wasn't sunny at all this morning, and it eventually rained...so much for that idea!
Today, as I said, is a rainy day, so we're not doing too much. Anyways, I'm going to sign off now. Cheerio!
Love, Ash :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey ash,
it's v, and k. we are so happy you can do this but we are also really really sad.:(
i've been wearing your sweat shirt every night practically, and karl really misses you. Hope you have a great of the good trip, try not to break anything (arm,leg)
cuz that would not be fun!!!!
luv ya

Singing Lady said...

It is so interesting hearing the different experiences you are having!
Don’t feel badly that it wasn’t sunny there to-day. We woke up to more SNOW!!!!
However that lot has gone again!
I thought at first maybe it was April 1st! Hahaha!!!
HOpe you have a great weekend. Lots of luv from Nan xoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

hey hun!!!!!!!!!! glad to hear you get to teach more! i miss you lots :-( i've been working on my mom's scrapbook today... it's exciting :-D

Annie

Anonymous said...

Hi Kiddo
Como Esta? Well it looks like everything is going OK --everthing here is Tudo Bem. I was wondering how you were doing and I thought that I would read all the stuff (and comments). It seems like you have alot of loving friends --Anyway take care and I will be checking in on you from time to time. Say hello to everyone and give them hugs --I wish I was there--You know that!! So Obrigado for the nice site.
TC Lahay

Singing Lady said...

O grandaughter querido da manhã boa, a neve do ontem foi chovido upon aqui e nós olhamos para a frente a um domingo bonito. Nós não estamos tendo completamente as temperaturas mornas que você está experimentando, mas nós temos a promessa de uns dias mais agradáveis adiante de olhar para a frente a. Esperança você tem um dia maravilhoso hoje. Lotes do amor Nan & dos PNF

Anonymous said...

Hey Ash
just a quick note to say hi from everyone at work, we really miss you. Are you getting to use any of the stuff we gave you for the kids I hope it comes in handy. I haven't seen "him" since you left "so sad" Glad to hear your feeling better, and getting some teaching time.Luv u lots.
Lorri

Anonymous said...

update update update!!!!!!

dances and cheers!!!!!!!!!

Annie ;-)