3.08.2006

I have arrived!

Well, I made the flights safely. What a journey, wow! I cannot believe how fun that was though. And I was worried about travelling alone. It was really neat, though, because at each airport I met someone who I was able to talk to and did not have to worry about being seen as alone. In Toronto, I met Sophia, a 76 yr old woman...who believe me, did not look 76...I hope I look as good as her when I am that age. She called me her therapist, because she has had some bad things happen to her this year, including missing two flights already that day. And her house burned down in August. So, it was nice talking to her for 2 hrs., and I almost cried when I left her behind, because she was so nice to me.
My second plane was almost taking off, but then something maintenance wise happened, and so we had to go all the way back to the airport, and we sat on that plane for 2 hrs. Thankfully they started the movies so we were not that bored. However, that flight was already 91\2 hrs long, so really we sat there for 11 1\2 hrs...not fun. So, needless to say, I was almost late for my connecting flight to Brasilia, which was my last one, but after all the crying, worrying, and running to my terminal, I get there and the flight attendant says,oh, this flight is going to be delayed for an hour.
I was so happy, but at the moment, did not know it, because I was still all knotted up inside, and I went to the bathroom and cried for a while...just letting all the tiredness drain out. Because boy, was I tired. And sick...I have a cold. Oh well, it will go away. Then I splashed some cool water on my face and I was fine! So I met a girl there who was from Atlanta, but originally from Brasil, visiting her parents in Belem. We talked for a bit, and I was able to use one of her phone cards to phone Joyce and let her know that I would be late. Well, that was a fun adventure all in all.
It was so nice to see Graça and her daughter Andrea at the airport. And it was hot!!! Wow, pretty humid! Anyways, Graça drove me to her house and that is where I have been and am right now. I put all my luggage away, settled in, had a little nap, and was able to just hang out with Concepcion and Vera, who I think are Graça;s helper ladies..not sure yet, but whatever. Also, Graça~s granddaughters are here right now, one is 7, and the other is 3...they are adorable, and it has been fun trying to have some conversations with them. However, I should sign off now...not sure when I will be able to type next...maybe in 2 days...we will see. Anyways, bye for now...thanks for all your prayers for me!
Love, Ashleigh :)

3 comments:

Singing Lady said...

Hey Ash,
Wow that was some trip you had!!
Such memories for your first trip on your own!!!
Hope your cold will improve in the warmer climate!
I'll bet bed will feel good to-night. Sleep tight and get ready for a great experience over the next few months.
Lots of hugs and kisses
Nan

Singing Lady said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Singing Lady said...

Hi Ash,
I am sure you are enjoying a little bit of a quieter day to-day as you regroup after your long flight.
It sounds interesting to see all the various places around town and I am sure you are so excited to go back to the school again.
This is a fun way to share your experiences with everyone a daily basis.
I will try to phone you on our telephone system soon but I don't think there is a call back number for you to use. I don't even know if ours will work, but I will give it a try.
xooxoxoox Nan
We are all praying for you. I have had lots of feedback on my prayer request for you from my friends. Will save them to show you when you get home.