3.11.2006

Family Life

It´s always an experience living with another family, and I´m living with another family, as well as a different culture, so it´s very different. However, today was Saturday, Sábado, of course, and so it wasn´t a special day in terms of doing things. But first, Graça´s son in law, André, wanted her to get him so he could pick up his car from the garage(he and his wife were away). So we drove over there, and then he said he was tired of his house. He wants to move north to a city called Natal. He suggested that we go back to his house and get his family and just hang out for the day, because he´s bored. This man is like 40 something and he is like a big kid. He´s so funny. So, we picked up his wife, Celça, and their kids, whom I´ve already mentioned(Luisa and Pámela). Then we did a bunch of stuff, which included going to a book store, going to a market, eating out at Girafa´s(a fast food place) and just hanging out at home. It was so fun. I love their family, and they are so nice to me. Celça speaks better English than Graça, and André practices his English on me, so we had a great time. André already teases me, and he was telling me that apparently a long time ago someone got murdered in Graça´s house. He tried to scare me by saying that her ghost still wanders around sometimes. However, Graça´s daughter ,Cristina, said that if we have Jesus, who can be against us, right? And nothing can harm me. Apparently it is true, but Cristina is right, I don´t have to be afraid. But it´s still kind of unnerving nonetheless!!! haha
Also, I met Graça´s fourth daughter today, Daniele, who has two kids, 7, and 6 months. So, I got to see the family resemblance among all of her daughters.
So, it was a very cultural day, and seeing how the families are with each other. Unlike many Brazilian men, André is very affectionate with his wife, and it´s good to see this. The kids also love both their parents. And, the cool thing is, André gets along with Graça, even though she is his mother-in-law. He always calls her "sogra"(pronounced like "saga"), which means mother-in-law, and he puts his arm around her and hugs her all the time. It´s so nice to see.
It´s very odd, being with so many family members all the time. I wonder if sometimes they feel like I´m a fourth wheel. But they speak only Portuguese to each other, and Graça only translates for me for some things, so I just sit back and listen to them, and TRY to understand what they are saying to each other! But they do include me, which is awesome.
(Mel, I taught Pámela the cup game...she loved it! She´s only 7, so it took her a while to catch on. )
Sorry if this blog is kinda boring, but I did have a fun day. I also tried to get some sun. (You should see how white I am compared to them!) I got teased about that as well!
Anyways, I will write later. Tomorrow Graça and I are going to church at 10, and I think Daniele is bringing over lamb to eat for lunch, so that should be interesting, and it will be another full house!
ttyl
Love, Ash :)

2 comments:

Singing Lady said...

Boa noite!Ash,
Your blog to-day was very interesting to read at our end. Certainly not boring as you said!
It sounds like you are jumping in with both feet and getting initiated into Brazilian ways and language.
I have been checking into your site at intervals throughout the day, hoping that you would have an entry for to-day .
This is a good way to record your activities and you will be able to have it for when you return home.
I am sure that when the adventure is over and you look back at these first few days that you will be amazed at how you well you have done when it ends.
Looking forward to hearing about the church service tomorrow.
I wish I could join you for lunch. You know that lamb is one of my favourites!
Bom apetite!
Te amo Nan xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Ash.... I"m glad you're having so much fun! I don't think I told you, but Sarah is thinking of going to the Dominican in Aug. Man this is hard seeing you both leave :-( I'm on the 2nd book of the Southern Tides series and I'm really enjoying it!

Well, can't wait to hear more updates! Love you :-)

Ruth-Ann