7.17.2013

Dancing Up A Storm...

Day 4: Favorite quote (from a person, from a book, etc) and why you love it

When I was growing up, I set aside a page in each new journal for funny quotes that my siblings or mom said.  Apparently Dad wasn't very funny (just kidding!)  I have continued that tradition with Jake, and even have a few of my own zingers written down.  


As far as inspiring quotes go, I have heard and liked many, but I'm definitely not one of those people who memorizes my favourite quotes for fun.  I recently had this one as my Facebook cover:
A little internet search told me that Vivian Greene is the originator of these fine words.  I love this quote for a couple of reasons.

1. It talks about dancing. In the rain. Need I say more?

2. In the book of Philippians (which is one of my favourite books of the Bible, and the one I most frequently turn to when I need some encouragement), Paul talks about how Christians struggle through trials and temptations in life, and uses Christ's example as the ultimate 'storm'- taking on the sin of the whole world and covering Himself with the humility that should have been fully ours.  
And yet, the words 'joy' or 'rejoice' occur more than a dozen times.   These are not passive words.  Paul is not giving us the impression that we must sit around and wait until the trials go away, for the 'storms to pass'.  We are to
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. ~Phil 4:4
Paul reminds us to rejoice twice in this sentence, so it must be important.  We need to be actively choosing joy despite our struggles.  Not the happy-happy-joy-joy-I'm-a-tele-evangelist type of joy, but the joy that comes from the Lord, that transcends our deepest understanding.  It doesn't mean it will be easy, but it's something we need to actively pursue.

In John 15:11 Jesus says, " 'These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.' " Elsewhere in the Bible, a psalmist writes,  "You make known to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." (Psalm 16:11)  " 'Your words were found and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts, '" says Jeremiah. 

These are only a few more examples of joy found in the Bible, and it seems that there can be no joy apart from the Lord.  So let's dance in the rain, in the grace that flows down from the Spirit, and take refuge in knowing that our Heavenly Father can get us through each storm.

Love, 
Ashleigh



No comments: