2.14.2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

I remember how I felt about Valentine's Day when I was in highschool. I vaguely remember filling out schoolwide "matchmaker" surveys, and getting the results back that said, "You would be 90% compatible with so-and-so", or "You would be 100% incompatible with so-and-so". I remember the carnations that we could pre-order, and getting 1 or 2 from some of the girls I hung out with(including Melissa). I remember that we could buy Valentine's cards from the Latin club for "$0.25 each, or 4 for $1.00...what a deal!" and have them delivered to the person we wanted to show love or interest to on that wonderful day of February
14th. I remember always getting little Valentine's from my friends, some of them heartfelt and genuine, most of them goofy. I remember never having a boyfriend and always wishing that a boy would send me a carnation. Yet, in this small tragedy of a young teen's heart, I knew that one day I would have a Valentine.

And so enter college. It is once again Valentine's Day, and once again, I don't have a boyfriend, thus, I don't have a Valentine.

This is not a tragedy, folks. I absolutely LOVE Valentine's Day. It is a wonderful time of the year that we can celebrate love, whether it be the love between a boyfriend and girlfriend, the love between a husband and wife, or the love that family shares and friends have for one another. It is a beautiful, glorious day.

It is not "Single-ness Awareness Day" that I have heard so many of my single friends call it. It is not "cry-my-eyes-off-because-I-have-to-work-tonight-instead-of-go-on-a-date" day.

It is a day to CELEBRATE LOVE!!! God is love. And because we are made in his image, we too can love, albeit in a capacity MUCH lower than his love. But the love that fills us from Him we can use in turn to love others, and to show them that love.

So, if you are single, like me, show your love to your friends. Go out and have a get-together with your single girl-friends, have a chocolate fondue, give each other goofy Valentine's, and watch a chick flick, or an Audrey Hepburn love story. Show love to your family. Make sure you tell them you love them all, and that you mean it with all your heart!

If you are dating, married, or engaged, WHAT ARE YOU STILL HANGING AROUND THE HOUSE FOR??!! Go out and have a romantic dinner, with candlelight, and chocolate and flowers, and make today special, because this day was meant for you to celebrate YOUR LOVE! If a romantic dinner is not your cup of tea, use your imagination and do something else that will still have meaning to you both.

I think we sometimes take love too lightly in this society, we use it flippantly and say "I love you" when we don't actually mean it. I have been guilty of this myself. We also take it for granted. Don't take love for granted today! Show it to those you love, admire, and respect, and don't forget to thank the ONE who created this love for giving you people who surround you with it.

I want to include this poem that Nana sent to me yesterday. I thought it was cute, and I dedicate it to all of my family and friends. I especially thank our Lord for giving me people to love, and want you to know that I'm thinking of all of you today.

A Valentine Prayer

I said a Valentine prayer for you,
And asked the Lord above,
To fill your heart and bless your soul,
With the precious gift of love.

I asked Him for sincere love,
The kind that's meant to stay.
Just like the generous love,
You give to those you touch each day.

I prayed for love from family,
And from every cherished friend.
Then I asked the Lord to give you,
His love that knows no end.

Love is patient,
Love is kind.

It bears all things,
Believes all things,

Hopes all things,
Endures all things.

Love never fails.

1 Corinthians 13:4,7,8

I hope you all have a wonderful, love-filled day!

Happy Valentine's!

Love, Ash xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello to my valentine Sweetheart
Thank you for sharing your memories with us and making us reflect on special times in the past that we have had with our loved ones.

Glad you were able to use my thoughts to you and that they could be passed along to brighten others as well.

You will always be my special valentine! Xoxo
NAN