9.24.2007

A Special Visit

So yesterday I got to visit Poppa at the hospital. I took the bus down and then walked over to the hospital from the coach terminal. He was all alone when I got there, and I thought I wasn't going to cry until he opened his eyes and looked at me and said, "Boy, am I ever glad to see you!" Man, then I lost it, and he said, "Come here and hold my hand-I might not say too much, but I just want to hold your hand." So I grabbed a chair and sat down, and placed my cold hand into his big warm, still strong hand, and held on tight. It was hard to look at my big strong Poppa, lying there on the too-short hosptal bed with tubes in and out of him. I sat with him for an hour before my family came, and there were times when I just felt like crying my eyes out, and then others where his dry humour kept me laughing just like everything was normal. He kept asking me questions about school, my life, my job, and I could only give him short answers. I know he probably wanted me to say more, but how could I? Given the circumstances, it didn't seem right to go on and on about myself. Yet maybe I should have talked more, because that's what he wanted...someday I will get all this right.

I'm just so grateful that he is alive. It gives me joy to say that I will never take him or my other grandparents for granted again. Their lives are too precious to think that I have all time in the world with them. Life is too short to waste time with regrets, and I don't want any regrets.

Nana looked amazing though. I admire her strength through all of this, and I definitely know that God has got her back, literally! She looked so energized, and I was amazed at how well she is doing-now she is the strong one! I'm praying for you Nan!

In an attempt to return to normalcy, I will tell you what I did before I visited Poppa. Yesterday morning I went to the Brasilian church again. It was awesome, and I even had company! I laugh at the randomness of it all, but on Saturday night Nathaniel asked me where I was going to church. When I mentioned it, he said he might see me there. So I was sitting in a pew by myself waiting for the service to start when all of a sudden he sat himself down beside me. I was so shocked, but it was good to have company, and I even got to translate for him (albeit very poorly). Before anyone starts to get any ideas(which the ladies at the church already did), I just want to say that Nathaniel is one of the best guy friends I have ever had. I appreciate his humour and how he is always willing to listen. I doubt he will read this, but thank you Nathaniel!

Katie and I played frisbee in the gym last night...obviously we are THE best at the game, but too soon we decided to stop and rest up our arms for ...SOCCER??? lol

So that was my day yesterday, full of fun, relief, and ...GOOD TIMES!

Hope everyone had a great week-end...
Love, Ash

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ash
You made me weep with this one.

It brought back memories of when Pops sat with you nearly 21 years ago in the Neo natal Unit at Women's College hospital and tube fed you every day in his lunch hour
Now the tables were reversed,.
He loves you so much and I know it meant a lot to have you there even if you didn’t talk much.
xoxo Nan

Anonymous said...

Avi, It was great to see you and spend that short afternoon with you, all 7 of us. I enjoyed the ride back when the 3 girls were "chatting it up" in the back and constant laughter...it was great to take you home and see you after so long of a stretch. will see you soon in a few days. Love Mamalama/xoxoxox