3.19.2013

Groceries on $50: Part 1...


I suppose you can call my evening a success.  I spent $51.26.
My only consolation is knowing that I also bought a non-food item, which brought my bill up by $2.99, so technically I only spent $48.27.  I will leave it to you to decide whether I accomplished my goal or not!  Here is my meal plan for the week.  I've added links to recipes found online, while others will be ones I have at home.  If you would like one of the non-linked recipes, just ask!




Signature Fonts


Tuesday- Ethiopian Cabbage dish with roasted chicken, tossed salad on the side
Wednesday- Brown rice and lentil burgers , no buns
Thursday-Meatless Chili
Friday- Ribs and potatoes, tossed salad and mixed veggies on the side
Saturday- Niagara Falls*
Sunday- Veggie lasagna
Monday- Spanish Omelette, Company's Coming The Potato Book


*Most weeks I will only include 6 meals since Jake and I have date nights or if we have outings, like this week.  If you need inspiration for Saturday's meal, I would recommend leftovers.

I chose many of these meals based on things I need to finish up, like cabbage and rice, and also things that I have in stock, such as ribs and kidney beans.  Your grocery list may look a little different than mine, based on what you have on hand.  
  • cottage cheese
  • eggs
  • frozen spinach
  • canned crushed tomatoes x2
  • mushrooms
  • carrots
  • onions
  • bananas
  • bagged loose leaf spinach (great for smoothies!)
  • zucchini
  • potatoes
  • apples
  • red onion
  • unsweetened coconut
  • garlic
  • red pepper
  • tomatoes
  • tomato paste
  • canned diced tomatoes
  • unsweetened almond milk (also great for smoothies!)
  • coconut oil
  • Enjoy Life! semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • lettuce
The hardest part about grocery shopping is when your husband forgets to tell you he needed cereal, to which I say, "Let's make granola!"

Happy cooking!

Love,
Ashleigh


No comments: