6.07.2012

On Taking the Bus...

So I sometimes take the bus. Not always. Just sometimes, when Jake needs the car. I like the freedom of our car, I appreciate its efficiency, but, truth be told, I enjoy the serenity of a bus ride.

I don't have to think about other vehicles around me, watch my mirrors, or worry about congested traffic.  For the most part I can sit back and relax, reading my book or listening to music.

Come on.

Who am I kidding? Most of my bus rides have not been the picture of tranquility that I would like.  The people who take a city bus make up a rare mix: the crying babies, the stressed out moms, the 'cool' kids, the 'street' riffraff, the elderly, the developmentally challenged, the regular 'joes', the working crowd, the university students.

All of these people share one vehicle. Together. They sit side-by-side, brush feet while walking by, accidentally jostle the person beside them.  All of this, without breathing a word. usually.

I don't often start conversations with people I sit beside on the bus.  I haven't been doing too good at this whole communication bit lately, especially with strangers. 

But I observe. Oh, boy, do I observe. 

That woman with the low rise jeans, bending over til you can describe her panties...
The elderly gentleman who stumbles and it takes him 5 minutes to right himself, even with the aid of another kind man...
The frazzled, slightly overweight mom who finally takes her crying baby out of the stroller so he can feel her nearness and wipe away his tears...
The distracted young man scratching away at his lottery tickets, listening to pop music that blares from his headphones...

I listen to their conversations, too (how can you not? They're talking loudly enough!).

The two young girls comparing body piercings and tattoos...
That early 20-something woman confiding in a friend about her custody battle...
Those students discussing the latest TV show using the crudest language possible...

True to the laws of judgmental nature, I often find myself looking at and listening to these people with a sense of superiority, forgetting that I, too, am a mere human being with my quirks and flaws. 

We're all taking the bus, we're all traveling somewhere.  We all have agendas and schedules, friends and foes, loves and losses. 

This is the human condition, but thankfully Jesus has offered a solution to our flawed, sinful ways. He offers forgiveness and grace, to replace my judgmental spirit and my pride.

For this, I am forever grateful.

I'm praying that this will change my attitude the next time I take a bus...

Love,
Ashleigh

1 comment:

On God's path said...

A powerful reminder isn't it? I sometimes find myself literally shaking my head in shame for thinking those thoughts that I'm better than they are. Then God gently nudges me and reminds of his gift to me.

I too rarely start a conversation and honestly feel annoyed that I'm always the person that people do randomly start talking to lol. What a rotten attitude from someone who could be sharing the love of God known as the Gospel to them...