12.21.2012

Enjoy Your Flight...

I was watching some birds soaring in the air today, and mused aloud, Do you think they enjoy flying?  It's hard to imagine being able to fly and not taking enjoyment in it.

I have been thinking about our flight to Chicago next Thursday.  I still remember the first time I flew in an airplane, the rush as we gained speed and made our ascent, the tears of happiness that slid down my face as I watched the airport become smaller and smaller.

Whenever people ask me what superpower I would love to have, I always say flying.  I mean, the thrill of cliff-jumping is enough to make you wish you could just spread out your wings and glide over the lake.

I have to admit, I am a bit of an adrenaline junkie.

But, I digress.  I wanted to apologize for the lack of blogging lately.  It's been harder than I ever thought to share a laptop with Jake.

He's been writing a lot lately, eager to get his book off the ground.  I'm very happy to see him so inspired!  Sometimes it feels like I'm just waiting for him to finish so I can use the internet, or spend time with him, or whatever it is that needs to be done.

Then, when I'm internet-ing, I feel like he's in the exact same position as I.  Back home in Canada, Jake has a desktop.  I find that it's much easier to say, ok, let's both go online for an hour, then we'll go for a walk.  

Whatever was life like before the internet?  If I don't have a good book to read, I can only think of looking on pinterest for inspiration!

Well, let me tell you, inspiration comes in many forms.  I was inspired to share about a Christmas cantata Jake and I attended on Sunday night.  And this was the backdrop:


A garden is a far cry from North America's snowy, Christmas tree-laden, hot chocolate, mitten-using pageants and dramas.

The premise of the cantata was to share the real meaning for Christmas, and the main character was a grasshopper, and a chorus of children dressed as various common Brazilian garden insects accompanied him in his search for the real Christmas.  It was cute, and not at all what I had been expecting!

It just goes to show you that it's not only culture that influences our dramas and re-telling of Christmas, but also the weather and season changes.

This week-end Jake and I are going to a popular tourist spot with some friends of ours.  Caldas Novas is a city with natural hot springs, and there are many water-parks and places to see.  We're looking forward to this last bit of excitement before we start packing for our journey home.

Love,
Ashleigh

No comments: