11.14.2008

More thoughts from Break!

I've been enjoying working these 8-4 shifts, because I get a break and can read my Bible. The other day, I was confronted with questions about "enlightenment", gods from other religions, and other such things I wasn't prepared to answer. The person who posed these questions is someone who does not believe the Bible is inerrant, and so I think he was just saying random stuff to trip me up. However, I was reading in 1 Corinthians again, and found this passage that I really like:

"We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. 5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"),
6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live."

In Chapter 8, Paul is talking to the Corinthians about food sacrificed to idols, and how they need to be respectful of the weaker brother. People who used to worship idols may be tempted to go back to that life if they see someone eating food that was sacrificed to idols. Paul was just reminding them that idols are nothing compared to God, and that no matter what, there is only ONE God, and ONE Lord.

I just thought this was such an amazing statement of belief, and it is so powerful to me!

Love, Ash

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashleigh
Wow !

It has been a long time since you wrote a note on your blog site.
I hope that now that you have started back that you will continue to keep it going again.
It is very good for your mind to write your thought, I know you have “journaled” for many years, so that is nothing new to you.
However your writings have always been quite meaningful to others and it can also be an outreach tool.

I am glad that your hours are working out for you and that your break times are giving you an opportunity to read your bible.
It sounds like you are preparing yourself for the challenges that are coming to you from others.
May God speak to you through His word and may His Spirit give you wisdom as you step up to wetness of your faith in Him
Lots of love always
Your Nan xoxox