12.01.2007

The first day of December...

As I sit here contemplating on eating a Lindor chocolate that a secret admirer gave to me and my roommates, I realize that it is December 1, 2007. 2007!!!! My goodness...the years go by so fast.

Because it is this the first of December, it means that 25 days until Christmas, and 13 days until I go home, and only 10 days until my first of five exams!

Mmmmm..this Lindor is impressive. It has milk chocolate on the outside, yet is filled with white chocolate. I'm going to try to savour this one for a while. This too is a sign of the season. Lindor chocolate, eggnog, and candy cane ice cream. Christmas lights, yule logs(cake), and mistletoe.

Every Friday night we have a Pizza Pop, which is where a group of us interested in hearing about missions and stories come together to drink pop and eat pizza. Last night the missionary could not come because of the weather, so we watched a documentary film called "Iraq in Fragments". I was kind of apprehensive to watch it because I find documentaries boring at times, but I stayed, and I'm glad I did. It painted a different of Iraq and all that is going on there. I was very moved, as I realized what the people there have to go through. We, here in Canada, have no idea what it is like to suffer in a war-torn country. Most of us, other than those old enough to remember World War II, have no idea what it is like to suffer, not the kind of suffering that those in the middle east and other parts of the world do. And then to think that most of the young people in this Western culture grow up to think that Christmas time is all about getting presents and having time off school. We have so much. Our society has become so materialistic. In the past year I have come to realize that I don't NEED any more STUFF. Even with this in mind, it is still hard for me to get out of the cultural mind-set. Sure I spend my money on things that I don't need. We all do it. But we could try to do it less. It starts in our minds first, a conscious effort to do away with the THINGS. Because we can't take it with us when we die, and it will serve no purpose in our eternity.

Now, I'm not suggesting that some of the things we want are bad, but we need to remember that we can get by with LESS...

Maybe you don't agree with me...that's fine. I've just been very convicted the past month about things like this. I guess it's because I'm a part of the youth culture, and this "Technoculture" is all about the lastest this, the newest that, and it has made me very aware of what we are doing.

So if you don't agree with something I have said, please tell me. If you don't want me to know who you are, comment anonymously. I am interested in your opinions.

Well, my chocolate is gone now, with only the taste of it in my mouth. I was rambling today, and now I must go.

I hope that everyone has a great week-end...take time to enjoy the snow and the sunshine today!

Love, Ash

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ash
I like your rose picture on your blog site. It is beautiful. Did you take the picture yourself?
I can tell by the nostalgia and the thoughts of Christmas that are posted here that the level of holiday anticipation is going to be climbing steadily for you over the next couple of weeks!
Once the exams are over and you head home to be with your family, you will really be able to concentrate on making it one of the best ones yet.

As I read about the documentary you saw on Iraq, I too know, that we take our freedom so for granted and it is hard to even imagine what it is like for the people in these war torn countries where this is the only life they know.
Even listening to the report last Sunday at church from th Ghana Medical mission team, was such an eye opener and I am sure that not one of those people who went on the trip will ever be the same.
Lindor chocolates� How decadent!!.. I was supposed to have some last weekend as part of the Festive Special at Swiss Chalet when we went there for lunch
However none of us who ordered it, got our goodies!
The waitress we had was a bit stressed and she forgot to give them to us and not one of us even thought to ask and we didn�t remember until we all got home!
Oh well� Next time!
XOXO NAN�