7.09.2014

Reflections on a Life...


Grace Lillian Aszbach


Journal Entry from July 4

I should be sleeping.  It's 5:45am.  Adrian went back to sleep, so why can't I? My mind is abuzz with thoughts.  Nana A. passed away two days ago.  When Mom told me, I was stunned and saddened, but it wasn't until I saw her obituary that I could cry.  It's been so long since I've seen them, but that doesn't mean I'm feeling any less happy about losing someone who was very involved in my formative years.  She and Papa invested so much time in Melissa and I, looking after us, teaching us, disciplining us [when necessary].  They loved us as their very own grandchildren.  So what happened? Why did we lose touch? Now I'll be seeing Papa for the first time in years at our pseudo-nana's funeral.  That doesn't seem right.  She was such a gracious woman.  I remember how she had so much tenderness for her husband, she was such a model of godly wife-dom.  Her eyes crinkled when she smiled.  The memories are so disjointed, I'm remembering her better in certain contexts over others.  I'm so happy she is with Jesus now.  No more suffering, no more regrets, pain or grief, no more tears.  Thank you, Father, for what a blessing this lady was in my life.  I'm trying to recall a specific Bible verse that she held dear, and all that is coming to mind is Psalm 1:2, 3.  I'm not sure if that can be related to her memory or not, but there is one specific part that I'm thinking of: 


But his[her] delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law [s]he meditates day and night. [S]He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither, and whatever [s]he does shall prosper.  
She truly delighted in God's Word, and her fruit was very evident.  We can let bygones be bygones.  Papa A. needs us now.  He lost his lifelong best friend and love.  Spirit, please give him comfort now and especially in the next little while when the days are long and the nights become lonely.  He needs Your peace and comfort.


Image Source

No comments: