11.23.2010

On Being Married...

I'm sitting here in the semi-darkness, knowing I should be in bed, but prolonging the inevitable. Tonight my husband is not with me, but is working a 12-hour shift. I have been keeping busy, but am still quite lonely. I have joined the ranks of countless other women (including my recently married sister) who stay awake into the wee hours of the night missing their husbands.

That being said, I love being married. Honestly, I don't have the words yet to describe how vast the difference is from when I was a single woman. I love how easy it has been for Jake and I to transition; that is not to say it hasn't been hard in some ways, either. We have had our ups and downs, and it's been a lot harder than we ever expected.

But there is just something so right about being a wife. Jake's wife. And I would not trade that for anything!

We had a wonderful wedding. I'm so glad that many of you could join us in celebration. I loved the day; the ceremony was just so worshipful, and the dance and dessert reception was so fun. It was the perfect wedding, and we had such a great time!
I can never stress enough to any couple planning a honeymoon: take a day or two off before you fly out. We left the Tuesday after we were married, and it was the best thing we could have done. Even once we got to the Dominican, all we did for three days was eat and nap, until we finally caught up on all our sleep. We stayed for a week there, and relaxed and enjoyed one another's company. There was a crazy hurricane in Haiti, so we got quite a few rainy days; they did not diminish the sunshine in our hearts. Some people commented and made some jokes on how fair we were for being down south; if you want the truth, we only got sun for three days, and sometimes, you just gotta stay inside. 'Nuff said.

Now we're slowly getting settled, putting some beautiful gifts away, hanging paintings and putting up towel racks, and just getting into the groove of life. However, we don't want to settle. We're looking to serve where God wants us, and so we're hoping to get in touch with some mission organizations soon to figure out our options. Please pray for us as we endeavour to do this.

Hopefully my next blog will not take over a month to write.

Blessings,

Ashleigh

No comments: