3.10.2009

Thoughts on Prayer

I'm reading my one of my textbooks for a class, the book is Perspectives on the World Christian Movement, and many of you may have heard of it.

I'm reading an article on "Strategic Prayer", and a quote from theologian Walter Wink has caught my eye, and I would like to share it with you:

"Prayer is not magic; it does not always work; it is not something we do, but a response to what God is already doing within us and the world. Our prayers are the necessary opening that allows God to act without violating our freedom. Prayer is the ultimate act of partnership with God."

I love this quote because it broadens my thinking of what prayer should be. I think a lot of us do pray in expectation of what God will do, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it could pose as a problem if we don't accept any answer God gives us, including "no", or "not right now".

For me, sometimes I do find prayer to be somewhat of a chore, which of course it shouldn't be. I envy people who can pray for long periods of time and never run out of words. This is why I liked the part in the quote where Wink says, "it is not something we do, but a response to what God is already doing within us and the world."

We can't let God speak to us without responding back to him. Prayer is also humbling, because we actually need to ask for something, or need to confess something we have done wrong, or give praise that God is God and we are not. It breaks down the barrier between ourselves and God, allowing him to work within us and transform our lives.

I think if I keep practicing intentional and intercessory prayer, it will become less of a chore and allow for more intimacy between myself and my God and King.

No comments: