3.16.2009

13 Degrees...

I am loving this weather. For the past two days I have worn capri pants and t-shirts; I have also been basking in the beautiful sunshine. I will admit, that sometimes I need to wear my sweater, but for the most part, I am just fine without. Days like these make me want to be somewhere other than school, with all that is looming overhead me.

I have been thinking a lot about love lately, and I am almost positive it is due to this weather. Springtime and love just go hand and hand. This isn't going to be a single woman's rant about the lack of romantic love in her life, so don't start rolling your eyes. I just love the concept of love. I know this isn't Valentine's Day, but we should reminisce about love more often. Isn't it a wonderful thing? Think about all the people in your life who love you. Now think about all the people in your life whom you love. What happens to your heart? Does it swell, almost bursting at the seams? What happens to your face? Does your mouth tip in a smile? Do memories come flooding in, of interactions with your loved ones? Do you remember the fun you have together? The times you cried together? It's such a powerful emotion, one that we take for granted much too often. We speak of the love chapter in the Bible, 1 Corinthians 13, but it has been read in a nonchalant manner. How often do we actually take the time to think about all that love actually entails? There is work we must do to truly LOVE someone, without simply saying it.

It is PATIENT. Many times I find myself impatient the most with those I love. Why is that? How dare I say I LOVE them, and lose my temper with them at the same time!This ought not to be. We must be patient with those we do not know, but more so with those we LOVE.

Love is KIND. I have struggled with this one a lot over the years. I have been so mean to my siblings and my parents, yet still profess to LOVE them. I am truly sorry for this!

Love does not ENVY. Wow. There's a tough one for many of us. I cannot say more.

Love does not BOAST, nor is it PROUD. How often do we carry pride within our hearts, hurting others in the process? We are called to love one another in humility.

Love is not RUDE. It is not SELF-SEEKING or EASILY ANGERED. It does not seek out EVIL but cherishes the TRUTH.

It PROTECTS, and TRUSTS, and HOPES, and PERSEVERES.

Above all, it NEVER FAILS.

Wouldn't you like to have someone love you like that? I'm sure that none of us can say we know ONE person who loves with all of these qualities. It is a shame, really, because I know there is much hurt caused in relationships where someone has too much pride, or envy. When someone is rude to the other person, or becomes angered easily. It's a hard list to remember, and even harder to live up to. Thankfully, we are only human, and while we should constantly strive to live up to these things, we should not beat ourselves up if we mess up sometimes.

I am happy to say I do know one person who loves me like this.

He is the only One who will EVER love me like this, even if I do find someone who loves me with that Romantic Love we all long for.

And so, I wrote a poem in honour of Him:

God, you are my rock of ages
My strength when I am weak.
You are the wisdom of the pages,
The treasure that I seek.

My Lord, my King, you're all to me,
I need You every hour.
You hear my cry, my urgent plea,
You only, my Strong Tower.

Speak words of life, into my soul,
Your love to me abounds.
With breath alone you make me whole,
Your peacefulness surrounds.

O God, You're true, You never fail,
You are a faithful friend.
Redeemer, Saviour, never frail,
Your glory will not end.
-AshWin-
March 16, 2009

Love, Ash

3 comments:

Singinglady said...

My darling AshWin,
It is indeed a treat to have the warmer temperatures and the lovely sunshine to go along with it.
Hopefully, soon the snow will be gone from our front lawn and maybe it will seem even more of a reality that spring is coming!

Once again you have touched a nerve with the beauty of your writings and given us food for thought on how we do react towards those we say we love so much!

Your poetry is very touching and comes from a heart that loves God very much
I love you and thank you for continuing to bless us with your notes
Hugs and Kisses
from NAN
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Dear AshWin,

Your grandma sent this to me to read. I am one of her carepage buddies. This was a awesome writing! It makes me think of hearing those verses said at a wedding, what love is to be and not to be. How full of love you are the day you marry, but how long do we really live up to those standards of love? I think the world would be a much better place if we read it more often!! Thanks for the reminder!! My husband has cancer and makes me remember to love him like the day I married him all over again!! Thanks for the poem too that was beautiful!! I will print it out and hang up , I loved it!! You truly have a gift to write! Keep it up!
God's Blessings to you!
Connie Ayers

Anonymous said...

Hey Ash :)

So beautiful! We read that chapter on Sunday at church... and yet again, I am reminded of what love really actually is... Love as we have always viewed it is SUCH a small part of what it really is... Makes me wish I hadn't wasted those years thinking of love in that way... May God be praised as He changes our hearts!

xoxo