6.09.2014

It's That Time Again...

There are more than a few updates to share with you today, so I'll just highlight them and get into today's edition of What I'm Into.



  • I am now a certified ESL teacher! I completed my practicum in April, and received my certificate shortly thereafter.  
  • Jake is back to work after taking a 10-week parental leave of absence.  The house feels empty without him home today.
  • We went on a Rivers' family trip to Florida, which included day trips to Gatorland and Disney World.  Adrian even got to go on a couple of rides at Disney!
  • We've moved :) We're now closer to our church, and Jake's work.  If you'd like the address, please mention so in the comment section!
  • I joined a local concert band about 6 weeks ago, and for the first time in 9 years I'm playing the French horn again.  The weekly practices are a nice treat for me.
And now....



In the Kitchen
Everything has been in upheaval since the move, but I made a couple of soups last week: Split pea, and a Brazilian caldo-inspired corn and spinach chowder.

Also, this one minute microwave brownie in a cup: 

chocolate cake for one-made it this afternoon and loved it! I substituted the white flour for 2 TBSP WW pastry flour and 1TBSP WW flour

Now tell me you don't want to make that for yourself...


On my Night table 
Currently Reading: As always, I've got a few on the go.
Pomegranate Soup, Marsha Mehran: A story about three Iranian sisters who open up a Persian restaurant in Ireland

As Sure as the Dawn, Francine Rivers: The third book in the Mark of the Lion series, this is a favourite of mine, and I'm re-reading it for possibly the fifth or sixth time, maybe more.  It's about a gladiator who is returning to his home country of Germania after earning his freedom from 10 years of fighting in the arena.   It's set in the Roman empire shortly after the death of Christ.  I would recommend reading the first two books of the series first, to get his back story.


Hybrasil, Margaret Elphisone: I'm not too far into this one yet, but the journal entry-like story tells of a travel-book writer who explores a near-mythical country of Hybrasil, and her adventures therein.


Read:
East of Eden, John Steinbeck: I don't really know what made me read this.  I guess I had heard that it was a classic and I wanted to try it out. Well, it was a heavy read, and explored the depths of humanity.  I was reminded just how depraved we are while exploring the complexities of the characters.  The story follows a man who has two sons, modeling something similar to the story of Cain and Abel from the Bible.

The Beach Trees, Karen White: This drama takes place in Louisiana, and includes a little bit of historical mystery and some romance.  If you like delving into secrets of the past, hurricanes, and lots of good character development, then this is a story for you.


The Divergent trilogy, Veronica Roth: A little like The Hunger Games, but, in my opinion, more enjoyable (OK, I'll be honest, it had more romance! C'mon, give a girl a break.) This post-apocalyptic thriller will have you on the edge of your seat and rooting for characters as they come of age in a world of uncertainty and chaos.


Through my headphones
Latch-Disclosure (ft Sam Smith)
Magic-Coldplay
Pompeii- Bastille


Readings in my Bible
I've been reading 1 Samuel to Adrian, and have been studying 1 Thessalonians on my own (and with a ladies Bible study group at church)

Other than unpacking and dreaming of sleep, this is me right now. Leave some comments below!


Love,

Ashleigh




No comments: