5.22.2012

Without a Clue..

When was the last time you played the game 'Clue'?  Having not played it for 5 or 6 years, it was fun re-learning the rules with friends tonight.  The latest upgrade of the boardgame is colourful, and includes new and exotic rooms like 'the spa' and 'the patio'.  Secret passages continue to be the hidden gems, and there is a sunken pool smack dab in the middle of the atrium.  Imagine owning a mansion like that!

Most of my close friends and family are familiar with my distaste for board games, so it is with great apprehension that I inform you of the growing tolerance I have for these sorts of things. 

I can only speculate on my past hatred for board games.  I will admit, games like UNO, War, and Go Fish are most enjoyable for me.  They are easy to learn, require minimal concentration, and are especially fun to play with little guys (namely my youngest brother and the boys I baby-sat this year).  Board games, on the other hand, often take 10 or more minutes to explain, and, depending on who you play them with, can be quite tedious and competitive.  Don't get me wrong, I have a competitive streak, but I just couldn't find it in myself to warm up to a game of Cranium (or whatever game of choice).  I had to be in the mood.  And no one was allowed to get overtly excited about playing said game.  Seriously.  I had an aversion to coersive tactics applied by dramatically happy gamers.  Which describes my entire immediate family, to the letter. 

Let's just say I had a rebellious desire to thwart any satisfied smirks upon the discovery of my potential enjoyment of said game (after being coerced into playing, of course).   

Because of that ridiculous mentality, I stopped playing most board games altogether, even if they looked remotely interesting.  My family was often saddened by my refusal to join in the fun, and my poor attitude has often thrown a distasteful wrench into social situations with friends.

Jake isn't much of a gamer himself, but he is a lot of fun, and will usually join a game if the opportunity presents itself.  He is also very good when explaining rules to people; I tease him, but his clear and concise use of words are something of a wonder.  He is pretty competitive when it comes to the win, however, and I have been through the whole gamut of emotions when playing opposite him: annoyance, awe, and intimidation. He is a gaming force to be reckoned with.

It is, however, his passion for fun that inspired me to rethink my motives for board game bashing.  A couple of months ago, I realized that it might not be so bad if I just became open to playing every once in a while.  Over the course of time, my attitude has started to change, and I feel something akin to excitement if someone suggests playing a board game.  This has also changed the way I interact with some friends, as people often become more expressive when they're on their way to winning.

I won our game tonight, by the way.  Jake even said he was impressed with my skill, and I must say, that felt pretty good.

Love,
Ashleigh

No comments: