10.09.2016

On Turning 30...

This year I'm turning thirty years old.  

I've never been one to shy away from telling people my age.  In fact, I often have to stop and think about the number.  When you're in your mid-twenties, they all seem to blur together after a while.  

Thirty is quite a milestone.  I'm not sure why our society deems it so.  Perhaps we see thirty as something to be accomplished, a maturity that is reached.  Perhaps it's a sign to buy your own home, or to be married or have a certain number of children. 

Perhaps by the age of thirty many of us have successfully risen to new heights in our careers, or we've traveled to various countries across the globe, or we've managed to stay in shape. 

I still remember when my Dad turned thirty years old.  I was ten years old at the time, and my mom threw a surprise birthday party for him. It may have been my first surprise party, otherwise I'm not quite sure why that birthday stood out to me.  To me, thirty felt like a long ways away. 

Here's where I could probably list some things I've accomplished in my thirty years on earth, like getting my driver's license, traveling and living in a couple of countries, graduating university, getting married, and giving birth to two children.  

So I guess I did just list some things that I've accomplished!

Ashleigh

No comments: