4.27.2017

Losing a Friend...


When I think of the Torries, I can never think of one without the other.  I usually never saw them apart, and I always admired their ‘togetherness’.  You could sense God’s hand working through them as one.  


They had my family over to their house one of the first times we came to the church.  There were five of us kids, but that didn’t matter, we all squeezed around the dining room table and tucked into the first of many delicious meals Mrs. T would make for us.  They looked after my siblings so my parents could go away on a week long trip together.  I’m sure they did many other things that I can’t remember or maybe didn’t even know about.


The Torries are big ‘missions’ people, and were always going on trips here and there around the world, serving the Lord while serving others.  They have such big hearts.  I remember them encouraging me to go on a trip to Brazil with them in 2005.  After much gentle persuasion, I went when I was 19 years old, and it changed my life forever.  I lived and worked with them for three weeks in Aguas Lindas, Brazil, and then again to India in 2008,  and our bond over those trips solidified a lasting relationship.  It lasted all the way through my college years, with sweet birthday cards in my mailbox, and usually a generous cheque or cash to go along with that. They loved me and supported me through those years like family.  When I married Jake, they graciously included him in their love and care, and we ended up being in Brazil around the same time in 2012 when Jake and I went to teach ESL for three months.  Our coincidential meeting there brought back the memories of our trip the first time, and it was neat for Jake to get to know them a little better.  When Jake and I had our first child, again they were there with cards and sweet love for our new little addition.  The love just kept on coming, distance and time didn’t change a thing.  It didn’t matter how long we’d go without connecting, we’d just pick up right where we left off.  


I can’t even begin to describe the impact this unconditional love from these very precious people has had on me in my life. The example of their love and respect for each other, and the way they serve their God in missions, in caring for the poor and impoverished has honestly shaped who I am.  I would never have gone overseas, I would never have seen God work in the way He has, if it weren’t for them and for their persistence and patience in making sure I went.  They are role models for me and my husband.  I want to be serving God in such an impactful way, no matter my age, the way that they do and have done for so many years.  They are a power couple that have changed and influenced so many people around the world.  I remember how they would exchange information with people, leaving their ‘calling cards’ with friends we made in other countries.   The networking was endless, and it was so impactful.


Mr. T just has that sweet way about him, a glint in his eyes, a tight squeeze of a hug and a way of greeting you that makes you feel so special, with that Irish lilt to his voice-”would you like a cuppa?”.  His gentleness and care were so welcome.  He listened without judgment, and was always ready with a laugh. He was so thoughtful and SO generous. He was always interested in what I had to say, asking questions about my life, and encouraging in the ways of the Lord.  I love him like family.  He is a very very dear friend. I’ll never forget all the precious moments we shared on this journey of life. Thank you for being there for me.  I love you and I’m so thankful to call you friend.

Ashleigh Rivers
Image may contain: 4 people, people standing
Brazil 2012
Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor
Volunteering at Voo Livre in Brazil, 2012


No comments: