4.17.2013

And God is Still Bigger...

On Tuesday there were two bombs at the Boston Marathon, killing three people: one, a local waitress, an 8-year-old boy, and a Chinese university student.  As I was reading their stories this morning, I was reminded again of just how quickly death can come, and how God is truly the giver and the taker of life.  I mean, none of those people would have gone that day had they known what was to transpire, and yet, they were there.  Their lives, now memories on Facebook and in pictures, are reminders that life is but a vapour on this earth.  

Another facet of truth springs to mind, knowing that there isn't really much that I can do to avoid death.  Even if I eat healthy, exercise, and pay a dentist to fill my cavities, I am not the One who holds my life in His hands.  God's timing is perfect, even if we don't see it now.  I am amazed at the brevity of that thought.

Let it sink in for a while. 

I am reminded of chapters 38 and 39 of the book of Job.  To me, these chapters reveal so much about our great God.  Look at 38:16-18:
16 
“Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea    or walked in the recesses of the deep? Have the gates of death been shown to you?    Have you seen the gates of the deepest darkness?Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth?    Tell me, if you know all this."
or 38:22-24:
22 
“Have you entered the storehouses of the snow    or seen the storehouses of the hail, which I reserve for times of trouble,    for days of war and battle? What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed,    or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth?"
These are things I cannot comprehend. 

One thing I do know-
          God is bigger than the fear those two bombs instilled, and yet, in my human finiteness, I am deeply saddened that a family lost their little boy who was simply waiting for his father to come through the finish line.

Lord have mercy.

Love,
Ashleigh

No comments: